- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ¼ cups organic sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh apple cider
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid drained from a can of garbanzo beans)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups peeled, cored and diced apples (Golden Delicious & McIntosh, mixed)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 10” non-stick bundt pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, pour aquafaba. Attach whisk attachment and beat on high for 5 minutes or until bean liquid becomes thick, white and very foamy. Add remaining ¼ cup of sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form – another 2-5 minutes.
- Mix apple cider, lemon juice and vanilla together and then whisk into dry ingredients. Gently fold whipped aquafaba into batter just until incorporated, then fold in apples and nuts. Batter should be very thick.
- Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden brown. Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack to finish cooling. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan