- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta (Substitute gluten-free pasta, if desired. I like Banza pasta, which is made from chickpea flour for a high-protein, GF option.)
- ½ of a 16-ounce bag frozen chopped kale or 1 small bunch of fresh kale, cleaned and chopped (it’s OK to leave the stems on)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
Low-fat Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup raw cashews * See Note
- 1 ½ cups yellow summer squash, steamed for 5–7 minutes or until tender
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso (use chickpea miso to make recipe gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ume plum vinegar
- A few turns freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg, optional
- 1/2 cup water
Garnish: a couple tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Start water boiling for pasta in a large 8-quart pot. Make the sauce by placing the cashews, cooked squash, nutritional yeast, miso, lemon juice, ume plum vinegar, pepper, nutmeg and water in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, sauté onion for 5-10 minutes, adding water a tablespoon or two at a time as necessary to prevent sticking, until onions are tender and caramelized. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Once onion and garlic are tender and golden, add frozen kale along with ¼ cup of water, cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until kale is bright green and tender.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and add back to pot. Add cooked onion-garlic-kale mixture, chopped artichokes and sauce to pasta. Toss gently and serve in four large shallow bowls garnished with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Note: If using a standard blender, rather than a high-powered one like a Vitamix, soak your nuts in water for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours, then drain and use as directed. This will make the nuts softer and easier to blend.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Pasta