This sweet, tart and refreshing summer drink is healthy and easy to make. My 10-year old son absolutely loves it and asks for it as a special treat! Agua Fresca is a classic Mexican beverage made from watermelon juice or another fruit juice with the addition of lime juice and sugar. In this rendition, I’ve added a hint of strawberry along with the watermelon and used hibiscus tea as the tart and tangy base. The combination of ruby red tea and juicy red summer fruit are a mildly sweet-tart combination that needs no other sweeteners.
Makes about 8 cups and keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but is best served within 24 hours.
- 4 cups water
- 3 hibiscus tea bags – I used Red Zinger™, alternatively Passion by Tazo or your favorite hibiscus tea
- 1 small seedless watermelon, rind cut off and discarded; flesh cut into cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
Garnish: fresh mint leaves, fresh strawberries, fresh watermelon
- Boil water, then pour over teabags in heat safe pitcher (I use a 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup). Steep for 15 minutes, then cool to room temperature. Remove and discard teabags.
- Place watermelon cubes and strawberries in a blender and blend well. Strain into a glass pitcher. Add cooled tea. Add a few mint leaves, stir gently and place in refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Serve over ice with a garnish of fresh mint leaves, a fresh strawberry and a slice of fresh watermelon.
Nutrition Facts: In a study measuring the antioxidant levels of 3100 foods, beverages, herbs, spices and supplements, including 283 beverages, hibiscus tea was found to be the beverage highest in antioxidants[i].
Recipe by Emily Honeycutt, 2016. © All Rights Reserved. www.deliciouslygreen.com
[i] Carlsen MH, Halvorsen BL, Holte K, Bøhn SK, Dragland S, Sampson L, Willey C, Senoo H, Umezono Y, Sanada C, Barikmo I, Berhe N, Willett WC, Phillips KM, Jacobs DR Jr, Blomhoff R. The total antioxidant content of more than 3100 foods, beverages, spices, herbs and supplements used worldwide. Nutr J. 2010 Jan 22;9:3.
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: Mexican