- 8 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cut into thick slices (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 2 cups carrots, cut diagonally into thick ½-inch slices (about 6 smallish carrots)
- 1 cup frozen whole (pearl) onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried Herbs de Provence
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup organic low-sodium tomato or vegetable juice (similar to V8)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (OMIT unless vegetable broth is LOW SODIUM or stew gravy will be too salty)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, arrowroot or kuzu root + ¼ cup cold water (whisked together)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages seitan, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Garnish: ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional) or a few leaves of fresh thyme
- Heat a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, herbs de Provence and bay leaf and cook for about 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the wine, vegetable broth, tomato juice, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch + cold water slurry and tamari along with seitan and kidney beans. Bring to a second boil to thicken, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Remove bay leaf, stir in balsamic vinegar and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: French