- 12-ounce box whole wheat penne pasta (use brown rice, quinoa or corn pasta to go gluten-free)
- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini, cut diagonally into small sticks (shaped like the penne pasta)
- 2 medium or 3 small yellow squash, cut diagonally into small sticks (shaped like the penna pasta)
- Tomato-Vodka Sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) package organic firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu Brand)
- 1 (15-ounce) can plain tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce); no-salt preferred
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 5–6 cloves garlic, minced
- Tiny pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- Pinch fine sea salt to taste
- Fill a large 8-quart pot with water, cover and turn it to high. As soon as the water comes to a rolling boil, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta (reserving about a cup of pasta cooking water to thin out sauce later) and set aside.
- While waiting for the water to boil, in a food processor or blender, puree tofu until creamy. Add tomato sauce, (but not crushed tomatoes) and blend again until creamy and salmon colored. Set aside. Mince garlic.
- In a large shallow pan, warm a couple tablespoons of water, add zucchini and yellow squash and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until tender and slightly golden. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 2-3 minutes more. Do not allow the garlic to brown or it will turn bitter. Add can of crushed tomatoes. Pour tofu-tomato sauce mixture from blender into skillet and warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour tomato-vodka-veggie sauce over drained, cooked pasta in large pot. Stir in vodka, cover with lid and allow pasta to rest in warm pot for 5 minutes to warm and absorb the sauce. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Add a little reserved pasta cooking water or fresh water to thin out. Add a bit more water when reheating leftovers (if you have any!). Serve in large shallow bowls with a side of steamed vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian