- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 yellow summer squash, diced
- 3 cups water plus 1 cup broccoli steaming water
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ume plum vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso (use chickpea miso instead to make soy-free)
- In a large pot, place onion, garlic, celery, carrot, potato, yellow squash, water and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in a separate pot for 4 minutes, reserving 1 cup of steaming water. Remove broccoli from steamer and chop finely. Note: Using the steaming water will add extra nutrients to the soup. If you forget, just use additional water.
- Remove bay leaf from soup, then place cooked vegetables and cooking liquid in blender (NOT including broccoli) with nutritional yeast, ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, raw cashews, miso and black pepper. Blend until creamy. Return to pot. Add chopped, steamed broccoli and 1 cup of steaming water, stir well and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan