- 1 cup diced yellow summer squash, steamed until tender (about 5 minutes)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3-8 hours if using a standard blender (no need to soak if using a high-powered blender like a Vitamix)
- 1 cup dry white wine (I use chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup rejuvelac, store bought or homemade (make homemade if making gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso (use chickpea miso to make soy-free and gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- • Cubes of rustic bread (I like whole grain bread)
- • Lightly steamed broccoli, cauliflower and/or carrots
- • Boiled, steamed or roasted baby new potatoes (This is an excellent gluten-free alternative to bread.)
- • Sautéed or grilled mushrooms
- • Raw grape tomatoes, red, orange and/or yellow peppers cut into bite-sized squares
- • Raw apple slices
- Directions if using a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec):
- Place steamed yellow squash, raw cashews, wine, rejuvelac, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, miso, salt and xanthan gum in a high-powered blender. Start on low and turn up to high speed. Blend on high speed for 5 minutes until thick, hot and creamy. After about 5 minutes, the fondue will begin to cook, steam and thicken. Use the pusher to mix the fondue, while the blender is still on high, for at least another 2 minutes until fondue gets very thick, stretchy, hot and gooey.
- Directions if using a standard blender:
- Place steamed yellow squash, soaked and drained raw cashews, wine, rejuvelace, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, miso, salt and xanthan gum in blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down pitcher as necessary. Pour into medium saucepan and whisk over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until fondue gets thick, stretchy and gooey.
- Scrape fondue into fondue pot, light candle beneath pot and serve with accompaniments.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan