- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground golden flax seed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ¼ cups unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup organic fair-trade semi-sweet chocolate chips* (I use Sunspire Organic 42% Cacao Chips)
- Strawberry Syrup
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- To Serve: Sliced fresh strawberries, sliced banana (optional) and Strawberry Syrup
- Make syrup: In a blender, blend together thawed strawberries with pure maple syrup until smooth. Pour into small pitcher for serving and set aside.
- Make pancakes: In a 4-cup glass measuring cup or a medium bowl, whisk together soy milk, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla. Set aside to allow milk to curdle (like buttermilk).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground flax seeds, cinnamon and salt. Gently whisk wet ingredients into dry just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Preheat non-stick skillet to medium heat. If using an electric griddle, set to 350 degrees F. Pour pancakes using disher (spring loaded ice cream scoop) or 1/3 cup measuring cup and cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side and about 2-3 minutes on the second side, or until golden.
- Serve pancakes immediately with fresh strawberries and Strawberry Syrup.
*To learn more about the issue of slavery and chocolate, why it’s important to choose fair-trade chocolate and a list of slavery-free brands, visit The Food Empowerment Project at www.foodispower.org.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 464
- Sugar: 32
- Sodium: 1408
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 88
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 0