These pancakes are everything you want them to be – fluffy, tender, lightly sweet and satisfying, yet are filled with whole grain goodness and are completely free of animal products and oil, making them low in fat and cholesterol-free! Filled with melty dark chocolate morsels and drizzled with fresh strawberry syrup, they are a decadent breakfast treat for special occasions – perfect for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries or anytime!
Truth be told, I never would have thought about making chocolate chip pancakes – I focus on making healthy food and chocolate chip pancakes are basically like eating cookies for breakfast! But, when I married my husband, Brian (who is a well-known cookie monster), he told me that before he went vegan, he used to love chocolate chip pancakes. He asked if I would please make some for him. So, I set about creating a recipe that was as healthy as possible, while still being incredibly delicious. My son, William, was pretty thrilled about the idea of chocolate chip pancakes, too. In fact, the first time I made them, he had a look of shock and amazement on his face. Chocolate chips – in pancakes???? Really??? The only pancakes I had ever made pre-Brian were buckwheat (either blueberry or banana-pecan). He used to love those (I still prefer them), but now they both want these chocolate chip pancakes all the time! I must admit, they are really, really good, especially with the perfectly sweet-tart strawberry syrup.
If your loved one loves chocolate and strawberries together, I promise these not-too-naughty pancakes will be his or her new favorite.
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground golden flax seed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ¼ cups unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup organic fair-trade semi-sweet chocolate chips* (I use Sunspire Organic 42% Cacao Chips)
- Strawberry Syrup
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- To Serve: Sliced fresh strawberries, sliced banana (optional) and Strawberry Syrup
- Make syrup: In a blender, blend together thawed strawberries with pure maple syrup until smooth. Pour into small pitcher for serving and set aside.
- Make pancakes: In a 4-cup glass measuring cup or a medium bowl, whisk together soy milk, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla. Set aside to allow milk to curdle (like buttermilk).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground flax seeds, cinnamon and salt. Gently whisk wet ingredients into dry just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Preheat non-stick skillet to medium heat. If using an electric griddle, set to 350 degrees F. Pour pancakes using disher (spring loaded ice cream scoop) or 1/3 cup measuring cup and cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side and about 2-3 minutes on the second side, or until golden.
- Serve pancakes immediately with fresh strawberries and Strawberry Syrup.
*To learn more about the issue of slavery and chocolate, why it’s important to choose fair-trade chocolate and a list of slavery-free brands, visit The Food Empowerment Project at www.foodispower.org.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 464
- Sugar: 32
- Sodium: 1408
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 88
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 0
Nutrition Facts: Whole grain intake is associated with a healthy body weight. When whole wheat flour is milled into white flour, at least 25 nutrients are removed and 5 are chemically replaced to enrich it. There is also a 200-300 fold loss in phytonutrient content. Healthy body weight is important, but perhaps more important than a healthy body weight are healthy arteries. A diet rich in whole grains has been shown to reduce the plaque formation which leads to atherosclerosis.
Recipe by Emily Honeycutt, 2017. © All Rights Reserved. https://www.deliciouslygreen.com