These holiday sugar cookies aren’t naughty, they’re nice! These treats are completely free of oil and butter and are full of heart-healthy fiber from whole grain flour. They’re a sweet, indulgent treat that won’t make your belly shake like a bowl full of jelly!
While they aren’t exactly healthy (they are sugar cookies, after all and do contain sugar), I’ve swapped out butter for a combination of beans and nut butter, white flour for whole grain flour, and eggs for egg replacer powder, making these cookies low in fat and cholesterol free! Your friends and family will never know the difference!
I’ve worked on perfecting this recipe for the last few years and these sweet and tender treats taste every bit as good as the classic. Nutrition is important, but not at the expense of flavor, otherwise, why bother?
I hope my healthier version of this familiar favorite makes your holiday just a little bit sweeter (pardon the pun)!Print
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 cup white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini or great northern)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew butter
- 3 teaspoons EnerG egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water (equal to 2 eggs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place beans, cashew butter, sugar, EnerG egg replacer mixed with water, vanilla, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon into the bowl of a large food processor and blend well. Add flour and pulse just until combined. This should create a nice stiff dough. Do not over mix.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into holiday shapes using cookie cutters and place on parchment lined baking sheet, sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 9-10 minutes until bottoms of cookies are slightly golden. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks.
- To make icing, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread icing onto cookies and sprinkle with naturally dyed sprinkles. Allow to dry completely, then store in airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 9 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
Recipe by Emily Honeycutt, 2016. © All Rights Reserved. https://www.deliciouslygreen.com