These oatmeal raisin cookies are everything you want them to be – rich, soft, chewy and familiar. They are a healthier vegan version of the classic using wholesome ingredients.Print
You’ll need a big 14-cup food processor if you want to make these cookies in one appliance. If you don’t have one, don’t worry, you can puree the beans and maple syrup together in a blender and then pour that mixture into a stand-up mixer and follow the rest of the directions.
- ½ cup cooked or canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons EnerG egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 cups rolled oats, quick or old fashioned, uncooked
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large food processor, puree garbanzo beans using S blade. Stream in maple syrup. Add almond butter, sugar, EnerG egg replacer mixed with water, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Blend to combine. Add flour and pulse just to combine. Do not overmix. Scrape down bowl. Add oats and raisins and pulse just to combine. Mixture will be very thick and hard to mix. Use a scraper to scrape down bowl. Remove S blade and stir a few times with a wooden spoon. Mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough with a small disher or mini ice cream scoop onto parchment lined rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Then, wet hands and go back and roll scooped dough into balls and flatten into small disks. Because dough does not contain oil or butter, cookies will not spread very much during cooking and must be shaped by hand prior to baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely and store tightly covered.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: Vegan
Nutrition Facts: Oats possess various pharmacological activities like lowering blood cholesterol and blood sugar, anticancer, antioxidant, antiatherogenic, topical anti-inflammatory and are useful in controlling childhood asthma as well as body weight.
Recipe by Emily Honeycutt, 2016. © All Rights Reserved. http://www.deliciouslygreen.com